KATOWICE

KATOWICE (Ger. Kattowitz), capital of Katowice province Silesia, part of Prussia until 1921. Information regarding Jewish communities in the vicinity of Katowice goes back to 1733. At the end of the 18th century certain Jews leased the iron foundries in the suburb in Bogucice (Ger. Bogutschuetz). The Jews were expelled from the nearby localities in 1781, but they were permitted to return in 1787. In 1840 there were 12 Jews in the city. Following the industrial development of the city, Jews played an increasing role in its economic life. The Jewish population numbered 102 in 1855, and in 1867, when Katowice was declared a city, 624; it numbered 2,216 in 1899, 2,979 in 1910, and 9,000 in 1932. The non-Jewish population grew at a much faster rate, rising from 14,000 in 1888 to 130,645 in 1930. An independent community was organized in 1866. From 1850 religious services were held in prayer-houses. The first synagogue was built in 1862 (expanded in 1880) and a new one was built in 1900. A cemetery was opened in 1868, and the first community rabbi was appointed in 1872. Communal activities expanded as the community grew. The Ḥovevei Zion conference was held in Katowice in 1884 (see kattowitz conference ). The Jewish communal organization developed considerably after World War I when Bruno Altmann headed the community from 1919. A new community building was inaugurated in 1937 which served as a center for cultural and organizational activities. The community paid much attention to Jewish education, maintaining a school, named after berek joselewicz , and a Hebrew school, established in 1935. Antisemitic agitation in Katowice increased during the 1930s. In 1937 there were pogroms, and bombs were thrown into shops owned by Jews. As most of the Jews there were tradesmen, their economic position suffered severely as a result of the anti-jewish boycott . The Polish artisans' organizations introduced "Aryan" articles into their regulations, and the Jewish artisans were expelled: the barbers' association introduced an Aryan article in 1937, and the tailors' association and others introduced similar articles in 1938. As a result of antisemitism many Jews left Katowice, and by 1939, 8,587 remained (6.3% of the total population). Rabbis Kalman Chameides and Mordechai Vogelmann served the community from 1928 until just before the Holocaust. In 1937 Rabbi Chameides was appointed adviser on Jewish affairs at the municipal law courts. (Shimshon Leib Kirshenboim) -Holocaust Period and Modern Period The Germans entered the city on September 3, 1939, and found a refugee-swelled Jewish population of 11,000–12,000 there. With many fleeing, 3,500 remained in October. Further flight and expulsions left 900 at the end of the year. These were expelled to other localities in May-June 1940, mostly to Chrzanow, and shared the fate of the local Jews After World War II about 1,500 Jews (almost all of whom were from other parts of Poland and had spent the war years in the Soviet Union) settled in Katowice, and a Jewish Commitee for Upper Silesia was established there. A chapter of the Communist-led Jewish Cultural and Social Society was active until 1967, when the Polish authorities launched their antisemitic campaign. As a result of official hostility, almost all the Jews in Katowice left Poland. (Stefan Krakowski) -BIBLIOGRAPHY: J. Cohn, Geschichte der Synagogen-Gemeinde Kattowitz… (1900); A. Szefer, Miejsca stracen Ludnscicywilnej wojewodztwa katowickiego, 1939–1945 (1969); Yad Vashem Archives. ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: P. Maser et al., Juden in Oberschlesien I (1992), 107–21; W. Majowski (ed.), 100 Jahre Stadt Kattowitz 1865–1965.

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Katowice — Héraldique Drapeau …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Katowice — Bandera …   Wikipedia Español

  • KATOWICE — Chef lieu de la province homonyme, la plus densément peuplée de la Pologne (602 hab./km2 en 1992), et important carrefour ferroviaire au cœur du pays noir, Katowice (366 000 hab. en 1992) constitue le centre administratif, économique et culturel… …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • Katowice — (nombre polaco anterior: Katowicze, 1953 1956 Stalinogród Ciudad de Stalin , en checo Katovice, en alemán Kattowitz) es una ciudad importante de la región histórica de Silesia Superior en Polonia meridional, sobre los ríos Klodnica y Rawa. Desde… …   Enciclopedia Universal

  • Katowice —   [ vitsɛ], Stadt und Woiwodschaft in Polen, Kattowitz …   Universal-Lexikon

  • Katowice — (Polish, Hungarian), Katovicai (Lithuanian), Katovice (Czech, Latvian, Romanian, Serbian), Katoviçe (Turkish), Kattowitz (German); Stalinogród (Polish 1953 1956) …   Names of cities in different languages

  • Katowice — [kä΄tō̂ vē′tse] city in S Poland: pop. 354,000 …   English World dictionary

  • Katowice — Infobox Settlement name = Katowice image shield = Katowice Herb.svg pushpin pushpin label position = bottom subdivision type = Country subdivision name = POL subdivision type1 = Voivodeship subdivision name2 = city county subdivision type2 =… …   Wikipedia

  • Katowice — Dieser Artikel beschreibt die polnische Stadt Katowice, für die tschechische Gemeinde Katovice siehe dort. Kattowitz …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Katowice — /kah taw vee tse/, n. a city in S Poland. 344,000. German, Kattowitz /kah toh vits/. * * * City (pop., 2000 est.: 340,539), south central Poland. Located in the midst of the coalfields of Upper Silesia, it was settled by 1598. It became a city in …   Universalium

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.